Storytellers in Parks (formerly Historias de Boston)
Storytellers in Parks is a youth employment program that focuses on sights, sounds, and stories of Boston’s diverse history, landscapes, and communities. Youth develop skills in video, photo, and audio production tools and techniques with an emphasis on digital storytelling and historical research of the parks. Through hands-on assignments, youth will research, produce, capture, and edit projects based in and around the National Parks of Boston.
Applications are open thru April 7, 2023 and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. Get your application in now!
Apply for this position if you:
- ✓Are interested in learning the tools and techniques of audio production, videography, and photography.
- ✓Want to use creative storytelling to share your thoughts and ideas to a park audience.
- ✓Enjoy working independently and being part of a team.
- ✓Are eager to explore the National Parks and public lands!
*Image background credit to 2022 SiP member, Cenicia
Meet Our 2022 Storytellers!
Read the Storytellers in Parks Blog
The SiP Evolution
Cenicia first day May 21st: Sa’id and I got on the same bus without knowing we were going to be working together. We were
Legacy of Fort Warren
Fort Warren is a location with a very storied history, one that can be easily misinterpreted. It presents itself as an extensive military base, but
Charlestown Navy Yard Then and Now...
Members of Storytellers in Parks photographed the Charlestown Navy Yard while exploring and learning about its history.
The photos that you see in black and white are from 1958-1962; there is an additional print depicting the Commandant’s House, the image is dated 1852. In the four year period in which these photos were taken, people used the Navy Yard as a place to find community, entertainment, and relaxation. In 2022, members of Storytellers in Parks find similar joy from hanging out in the Navy Yard while learning photography, videography, and employability skills.
Enjoy these photos that Storytellers in Parks members replicated from this time in history.
*Hover over the photos to read the image description.*
How to Become a Storyteller
To be eligible to apply you are:
- Between 15-18 years old for the duration of the program.
- Available 4 consecutive Saturdays in May-June and 8 consecutive weeks in the summer late June-August.
- You are local to the Boston Area.
- Eligible to work in the United States.